Unexpected: Results of the 2022 Midterm Election

Claire Hanson, Writer

Historically, the midterm elections, which take place in the middle of a president’s 4-year term, have results that almost entirely support the opposing party. This year, that was not the case. 

November 8, 2022, was the date of the midterm elections. Signs surrounded the entry to YHS as community members–including seniors in high school (aged 18)–used their vote to shape society. Emily Rubin, a senior, explains that this year, “I felt like I really participated in politics and the future of our government.” 

Here in York, Maine, the ballot was focused on the election of the Governor, two US House of Representatives, one Maine State Senate, and two Maine State House of Representatives. 

A result that was foremost on Mainers’ minds was the election for Governor. Current Democrat Governor Janet Mills defeated challenger Republic, Paul LePage. 

For Maine’s State Senate, York’s Democratic candidate Mark Lawrence, won easily against Kittery’s Republican Julie Rakic. 

For Maine State House of Representatives, York Democrat Walter “Gerry” Runte beat York Republican Bradley Moulton. Also, for the Maine House of Representatives, York Democrat Holly Sargent easily beat York’s Republican David Koopman. 

Current US House of Representative Democrat Chellie Pingree won against Edwin Thelander. Current US House of Representative Democratic Jared Golden narrowly defeated Republican Bruce Poliquin, although Golden’s margin increased after the rank choice votes were counted.

The results for Maine’s election showed a clear Democratic trend of victory. However, this was not the case everywhere. 

Nationally, Republicans gained eight seats in the House of Representatives, while Democrats lost nine seats. This means that Republicans gained control of the US House of Representatives, which was previously controlled by the Democrats. 

The Democrats surprised many and continued their slim majority in the US Senate. If the Democrats did not take the lead in the Senate like they did, the pressures facing President Biden would have increased significantly, potentially causing him to back down from reelection.