Opinion: Fall is the Best Season

Sienna Hilbourne

Colorful leaves are a staple of this season

Lucy Kocev, Writer

Crisp air and colorful leaves. Pumpkins and apple cider. There are too many memorable aspects of fall to list. Two months down the road from October is December, which claims to be “the most wonderful time of the year.” This song must have been written for the fall, the real “most wonderful time of the year.”

The natural beauty of fall is better than any other time of the year. Leaves that are usually green are vibrant hues of red, orange, and yellow. The crisp breeze is invigorating and not bitterly cold. A light jacket can do the trick–no need to pile on the layers or be stuck still hot in summer wear. There is no denying that a breath of fresh autumn air feels much better than hot sticky summer air, icy cold winter air, or spring air with every kind of allergen. 

Then there are the activities to do in the fall. You can only go to a high school football game in this season. Standing in the student section, decked out with a fun theme, is something truly unique. Many other crowd favorites are fall sports: soccer, field hockey, cross-country, golf, and volleyball. Or, for those who like to channel your inner five-year-old, you can always jump into leaf piles. No one is too old for that; it’s always simply exhilarating.

Of course, there are fall foods and drinks. Pumpkin spice cannot be ignored. However you enjoy this fall flavor, know that it is only available in…well, fall. Plus, you can always go apple picking. The car on its way home from the apple orchard, full of apples, cider, and maybe even some cider donuts, is happy indeed. 

At the end of that excellent month of October comes a fun holiday for all ages. The day we dress in our best costumes, have fun with friends, and always come home with some good old candy, regardless of our role in the Halloween festivities. 

So don’t forget that this is the best time of the year. Not summer, where all we can do is make best friends with a nearby air conditioner. Not winter, where all we can do is scrape ice off of car windows every morning and shiver while we do it. Not spring, where all we can do is watch the rain and reminisce about what the sun looked like. But fall, when we can see so many beautiful things and participate in countless fun activities. Oh, the wonders of autumn.