A Christmas Carol: Back on Stage

Sophie Scapicchio, Writer

The York Rec. Department’s production of A Christmas Carol, directed by George Hosker-Bouley, is derived from Charles Dickens’s A Christmas Carol and is going to be a magical performance. The play premiers Friday, December 2, at 7:00 PM, and has two more shows on Saturday and Sunday, at 7:00 and 2:00 PM respectively. 

A Christmas Carol is a story of a grumpy, lonely old miser named Ebeneezer Scrooge, who is visited by the ghost of his dead business partner. He is told that he needs to learn to be a better person, and is then visited by three more ghosts throughout the night: the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas Future. As their names suggest, they show Scrooge visions of past, present, and future Christmases, which humbles him and teaches him the meaning of Christmas. 

The York Drama Club has had a full two years off, with all shows done virtually or not at all. Haunted Heights, which ran November 3rd through 5th, was the first live show since the beginning of the pandemic. For all of the actors, it is wonderful to be back on the stage for good, and Carter Short, who plays the Ghost of Christmas Present, says on the subject, “Walking back onto the stage after two years…feels like a breath of fresh air. It was as if an essential part of my holiday season was missing.” George Hosker-Bouley, the director of the show, says, “Last year we made a film, and the year before we did a radio version of it because of Covid. This is our first year back [live,] and we are so excited about it.”

Christmas Carol has been happening annually for thirteen years and is an integral part of the York holiday season. Aspen Davis, playing Ebeneezer Scrooge, says about the show, “The production always comes together beautifully and all of our actors are extremely talented…I just can’t wait for everyone to see it.” This year the Christmas Carol has an amazing cast, with Aspen Davis, a junior, playing the lead, Ebeneezer Scrooge, Zoe Noonan, a senior, playing the role of the narrator, and Carter Short, a sophomore, playing the Ghost of Christmas Present. 

There are 52 students participating in total from grades 2-12. George Hosker-Bouley says of the cast, “I am also excited to have the lead performers that performed in the film be able to perform their roles live on stage for the first time.” This year, the play has 124 costumes. The money made from the concession stand is extremely important for the drama club, as it goes into the funds for the production. Over $900 was spent on brand new costumes this year, and George Hosker-Bouley says, “[I am] very excited about having the audiences see them for the first time.”

There are many new elements to this show along with the new costumes. This year’s show features a new song and several scenes that are new or rewritten from past years. Middle school music teacher Susan Frank and Paul Santerre, the YCA manager, will have small featured roles as well. George says, “Technical Director Steve Hamel has once again outdone himself.”

Overall, Christmas Carol brings the community together, and bonds many different people from different grades and groups. Zoe Noonan, a senior who is playing the narrator this year, says, “I love seeing both new and old faces come together to create a performance that we are proud of. Although I am sad this is my last year, I’m glad to have had this opportunity to find such a supportive community that has allowed me to grow as a person.” A final quote from George Hosker-Bouley sums up the real meaning of the Christmas Carol to York, saying, “I think that because the show features people of all ages it represents the entire community. This show gives everyone in town and beyond a chance to congregate, to wish each other well, and to enjoy a holiday event in the town where you live.”